Negligent Security – Stairwells & Staircases
Violent Crimes – Rapes, Robberies, Murder
We use staircases and stairwells every day without thinking; however, they are often referred to as fringe
areas – an area where criminals are likely to operate and an area where you are most likely to be severely injured, attacked, assaulted
, robbed, mugged or raped
. Stairwells are for passage from one area to another, not a place to linger, loiter or hang out.
Many locations have stairwells including schools
, college campuses
, work places
, office buildings
, shopping malls
, parking garages
, and apartment complexes
. The property owners, managers, and tenants of these locations need to ensure reasonable care” to protect against “foreseeable” criminal attacks that occur on their premises, including common areas such as stairwells.Common safety issues with inadequate security in stairwells:Here are some things you can do to improve your safety when it comes to stairwells:
- Always be aware of your surroundings and keep your cell phone handy.
- Have a plan and get to where you are going. Do not loiter or get distracted.
- When using stairwells and out-of-the-way corridors, don't use the stairs alone. Have a colleague or security personal see you to your car or where you are going. It is often recommended that you use elevators instead.
- Check to see if the fire stairs lock from the stairwell side above the ground floor so that you can exit but no one can enter.
- Talk to the building manager about improving poorly lighted corridors and stairways.
- Report any broken or flickering lights, dimly lit corridors, doors that don't lock properly, or broken windows. Don't wait for someone else to do it.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of an assault, rape, theft, shooting
, or murder due to negligent security in a stairwell or staircase, contact our negligent security attorneys
to discuss your legal rights.
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?
Free CONFIDENTIAL case evaluation.